We all recognise that academic writing can be tough, but having the safety, physical space, and time to write is also a privilege which we easily overlook as we (understandably!) focus on our individual struggles with the process.
To give something back to our wider community, I’m delighted to offer three full-day writing retreats in 2021, open to all, from which all proceeds will go to the vital work of the Council for At Risk Academics, supporting our academic colleagues and their families, at times of desperate need.
The dates for your diary (which I believe are school-term friendly for most in the UK) are:
- Wednesday 17 March 2021, 9:00am-4:45pm
- Wednesday 7 July 2021, 9:00am-4:45pm
- Wednesday 24 November 2021, 9:00am-4:45pm
How does it work?
- You donate £15 per retreat you’d like to attend, directly to CARA here. If you’re a UK taxpayer, please add GiftAid to increase the value of your donation by 25% at no additional cost to you!
- As part of the on-line payment process, you will be asked to enter your e-mail address; as soon as the payment is made, you immediately receive an automatic ‘thank you’ e-mail, which shows the donation amount, but no other personal data
- You forward the receipt to me at firstname.lastname@example.org with a note of the date(s) you want to book
- I confirm receipt of your booking, and attach a pre-retreat preparation form to help you clarify what you want to achieve on the day
- The day before your chosen retreat(s), I email you the login details
- On the day itself, we show up, share the space and energy, and work alongside one another on the timetable below (n.b. all times given are UK times, but participants from outside the UK are very welcome):
9:30-11:00 Writing Session 1
11:00-11:30 Morning Break
11:30-12:30 Writing Session 2
12:30-1:30 Lunch Break
1:30-3:00 Writing Session 3
3:00-3:30 Afternoon Break
3:30-4:30 Writing Session 4
4:30-4:45 Wrap Up
That’s five solid hours of writing (imagine what you’ll get done!), plus the opportunity to connect with other researchers AND make a valuable contribution to the incredible work Cara does, supporting academics for whom simply sitting down, in company, to write for a day would have been an impossibility.
Do I have to be a PhD student or an academic to come along?
Absolutely not! Anyone connected to a university, who wants to work in company for a day and support a fantastic cause is warmly welcome.
Sounds good, but I’m not in a writing phase at the moment!
No problem, bring whatever work you’re doing – coding, interview analysis, a grant application or even that list of fiddly boring tasks you’ve been putting off, and use the energy of the day to help you power through it.
Is CARA a registered charity?
Yes, it’s a UK Registered Charity, No. 207471.